Senior Data Engineer
We Dream. We Do. We Deliver.
As a full-service, data-driven customer experience transformation, we partner with Top 500 companies in the DACH region and in Eastern Europe. Originally from Switzerland, Merkle DACH was created out of a merger between Namics and Isobar - two leading full-service digital agencies.
Our 1200+ digital enthusiasts are innovating the way brands are built, through providing expertise in Digital Transformation strategy, MarTech platforms, Creativity, UX, CRM, Data, Commerce, Mobile, Social Media, Intranet and CMS. We are part of the global Merkle brand, the largest brand within the dentsu group, who shares with us a network of over 66,000 passionate individuals in 146 countries.
Our business includes to a large extent the integration and adaptation of standard software along the tasks in our customer projects. In order to meet different requirements, we rely on long-term partnerships with leading technology providers.
We are looking for a savvy Data Engineer to join our team of data heroes. You will be responsible for designing and building Big Data architecture pipelines for data lakehouses in cloud, as well as optimizing and productionizing Machine Learning and predictive models. The ideal candidate is an experienced software engineer and data wrangler who enjoys building complex platforms from the ground up, using the latest technologies in cloud. You will cooperate with data architects and data scientists on large data projects for the biggest international brands, as well as build an internal platform framework to ensure consistent & optimal delivery. You should be a versatile self-starter eager to roll out next-gen data architectures, comfortable supporting multiple technologies/teams/solutions/clients, and also a great team player able to work within our international team with a positive, startup-minded attitude.
What you will do
- Design & implement data ingestion and processing of various data sources using cloud (MS Azure, AWS, Google) ‘big data’ technologies like Spark, DataBricks, Glue, Airflow, Kafka, DataFactory, NoSql DBs, SageMaker, ML Studio
- Create and maintain data tools for data scientist / analyst teams that assist them in building and optimizing data algorithms like AI / Machine Learning models, productionize the models
- Assemble large, complex data sets that meet functional / non-functional business requirements for data lakehouse
- Develop data pipelines to provide actionable insights into marketing automation, customer acquisition, and other key businesses
- Deploy DevOps automation of continuous development / test / deployment processes
- Work with stakeholders to assist with data-related technical issues and support their data infrastructure needs, like optimizing existing data delivery, re-designing infrastructure for greater scalability, etc.
- Support pre-sales by proposing technical solution and accurate effort estimate
- Experience in building and productionizing big data architectures, pipelines and data sets.
- Understanding (big) data concepts and patterns (data lake, lambda architecture, streaming processing, DWH, BI & reporting)
- 2+ years of experience in a Data Engineer role, who has attained experience using the following software/tools:
- Experience with big data tools: Hadoop, Spark, Kafka, etc.
- Experience with object-oriented/object function scripting languages: Python, Scala, Java, Scala, R, C++ etc.
- Experience with MS Azure (DataBrics, Data Factory, Data Lake, Cosmos DB, Event Hub, PowerBI) or AWS (Glue, EC2, EMR, RDS, Redshift, Sagemaker) cloud services
- Implementing large-scale data/events oriented pipelines/workflows using ETL tools
- Extensive working experience with relational (MS SQL, Oracle, postgress, Snowflake..) and NoSQL databases (Cassandra, MongoDB, Redshift, Elasticsearch, Redis,…)
- Strong analytic skills related to working with (un)structured datasets.
- Build processes supporting data transformation, data structures, metadata, dependency and workload management.
- Experience in setting up and using CI/CD automation tools
- Strong project management and organizational skills.
- Deep hands-on development experience in MS Azure or AWS environments
- Past experience in the delivery of business intelligence projects, using tools like PowerBI, Tableau, Qlick Sense, Keboola…
- Working knowledge of message queuing, stream processing, and highly scalable real-time data processing using technologies like Storm, Spark-Streaming, etc.
- Experience with data pipeline/workflow management tools like Airflow, NiFi, StreamSets, Glue, Azure Data Factory etc.
Why you should work with us?!
- We are cooperating with an all types and sizes of clients from all around the world which allows us to provide a very diverse portfolio of projects and technologies to choose from to our people.
- You will be part of a startup-minded branch of a company with a very strong and stable background of the Swiss/German headquarters.
- Your contributions will have a distinct impact on our clients
With us, you will become part of:
- An international team, where you can gain new/relevant experience.
- A dynamic environment where you will never happen to fall into a routine work.
- Career path growth astounding – client grows, our team grow, you grow!
- Start-up agile atmosphere.
- Friendly international team of creative minds
And we offer even more!
- Attractive and competitive salary.
- Spanish/English lessons.
- Free life and health insurance.
- Career development through Merkle University and LinkedIn Learning.
- Day off in your birthday
- Reduced fee in Andjoy
- 2 volunteering days per annum
- Flexible salary remuneration scheme
Merkle does not discriminate against job applicants on the basis of age, disability, gender reassignment, marital or civil partner status, pregnancy or maternity, race, colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin, religion or belief, sex or sexual orientation. Experience stipulated in this job description serves as a guide only and all applications will be considered on their merits, irrespective of experience. At the point of application, the candidate must have the legal right to work in Spain as we are unable to sponsor visas at this time.
As part of our Diversity and Inclusion agenda, and as an Equal Opportunities employer, if you require reasonable adjustments during the selection process please engage directly with your Recruiter.