Junior Front-End Developer
Merkle is a leading data-driven, technology-enabled, global performance marketing agency that specialises in the delivery of unique, personalised customer experiences across platforms and devices. We call it ‘people-based’ marketing, and with over 25 years’ experience, we are proud to be recognised as a global leader.
Merkle’s heritage in data, technology and analytics is the foundation for our understanding of consumer insights that drives our people-based marketing strategies. Combined with our expertise in performance creative and media, we can then offer our clients content-driven, contextual and compelling customer experiences that drive business growth.
In 2016, the agency joined the Dentsu, one of the world’s biggest media companies to form the Customer Experience Management (CXM) Line of Business.
We’re on the lookout for an enthusiastic Junior Front-End Developer to join our Experience Analytics team where you will help our clients to optimize their websites by building experience variations using testing platforms such as Google Optimize, Adobe Target and Optimizely.
We are looking for someone to join us as soon as possible, ideally by June, we will accommodate notice periods best we can.
As a Junior Front-End Developer in our Experience Analytics team, you will bring to life the data-driven test ideas generated by our Conversion Rate Optimisation (CRO) experts. You will be responsible for translating test variation designs into code and then building and deploying those solutions within the chosen web testing platform whilst ensuring strong Quality Assurance (QA) throughout.
On any given day, you could be working with a global ecommerce brand in the morning and a local services consultancy in the afternoon. The core requirement of this role will be developing test variations, however, there will be the opportunity to broaden your remit and take on client-facing and design responsibilities if desired.
Life as a Junior Front-End Developer at Merkle
You begin by joining our fantastic training programme and you’re supported from day one. In hardly any time, you’ll be an expert in how to apply your coding experience within the core website testing platforms we work with and will build a solid understanding of our data-driven approach to CRO. After that, your day to day will comprise the following:
· Completing QA activities prior to test deployments, ensuring all work is tested and approved
· Liaising with client development teams, to understand their site and ensure that tests are built without conflicts
· Keeping up to date with technical best-practices and ensuring they are followed
· Keeping up to date with industry trends and emerging technologies, sharing your knowledge with the team
· Working across multiple client projects simultaneously and managing workload within allocated timeframe
Should you wish to broaden the scope of your role, there will also be opportunities to:
· Develop understanding of UX and UI design
· Own client relationships, manage workload and gain autonomy
· Plan and prioritise the insights and testing strategy to meet the client’s targets and ROI
· Participate in/lead test variation design and build wireframes
· Analyse client data to surface actionable insight regarding their website performance
· Analyse and evaluate A/B tests, reporting on results and recommending next steps to clients
Career progression is huge to us here at Merkle and we’re keen to nurture and develop each individual, so they build a long-lasting career with us.
What you MUST have:
· Knowledge of responsive coding technology
· Logical thinker with strong organizational skills and attention to detail
· The ability to work autonomously as well as part of a team
· Ability to meet deadlines, identify issues and resolve with minimal direction
· Ability to problem solve and offer solutions.
· Friendly and engaging personality
What’s an added bonus:
· Previous experience working with Optimizely, Adobe Target and Google Optimize would be extra handy
· Knowledge of UX and User Interface (UI) design
· Knowledge of REST API’s and their use
· Experience undertaking website testing and creating test plans
Essentially, we’re looking for intelligent, coding obsessed, logical candidates!
We welcome new joiners from all backgrounds; you can be freshly graduated, someone with an apprenticeship or a person looking for a change of career. We're open to anyone who’s passionate about analytics and Coding. Make sure you display that passion and research throughout the interview process.
At the point of application, the candidate must have the legal right to work in the UK as we are unable to sponsor visas at this time.
The Interview Process
Firstly, we suggest you apply at your earliest convenience (make sure you’ve done your research!) as our roles are always very popular and do fill quickly. We hire on a first-come basis.
In this position, you will be focusing solely on Technical Analytics so we will want to see a passion and enthusiasm for this particular area. This interest can be showcased in your research and ability to go above and beyond when looking into this area.
· Application – When you apply you will be asked a couple of questions to showcase your interest in Analytics.
· Video Interview – If your application is successful you will be asked to complete record a video interview (they sound scarier than they are, we promise!). The video interview is a chance for us to get to know more about you and your knowledge and recent research. Think about looking into Google analytics, tools, platforms, metrics etc
· Online Interview - If successful after a video interview then you would progress to the Online Interview. This is a chance for you to meet the team via video call, learn more about the company and showcase your skills, passion and research in person. You will also be given a coding test so you can showcase your coding ability.
· Final Interview – If you reach the final interview, you will be asked to put together an Analytics presentation, based off a pretend client brief. Until we all return to the office you will present this over video call.
Throughout the entire process we will be wanting to learn more about you as an individual (your interests, skills and understanding of the role), your passion for this area and the research you’ve done. Don’t focus on the nerves, make sure you come prepared and ensure you interview us as well! At the end of the day you’ll be with us 5 days a week, so you want to make sure its somewhere you want to work to.
If you have any special requirements or needs throughout the interview process, please let us know so we can accommodate these.
Diversity & Inclusion
At Merkle, we believe that a diverse and inclusive environment improves us as a community and as a business. We want to foster an environment of growth, where ideas and contributions are actively encouraged. We need this culture of courage to continue to thrive in our fast-paced industry.
We have created six Diversity and Inclusion Pillars. Each pillar is made up of a community of members who serve as role models and spread a message of inclusion throughout our global workplace. Pillar members are responsible for planning initiatives, events and training, along with championing change within our business. These pillars are Gender, Ethnicity, Mental Health, Religion, Disability, LGBT+.
Merkle is a place that embraces differences of opinion. To be an advocate for real change we really encourage applications from women, candidates with disabilities and Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic (BAME) candidates as we recognise that these groups are currently underrepresented in our marketing/technology industry.
A few of the benefits
Whether it’s the joy of working with people at the top of their game or the Merkle social calendar, people love working here – and we hope you will too
· Career development through Merkle University and other tools; with access to courses, textbooks and mentorship
· Private Medical Insurance, Company Pension, life insurance and other corporate benefits
· A selection of other benefits including ability to buy additional holiday, season ticket loan and 2 volunteer days