MarTech Technology Consultant - Director
Merkle is a leading data-driven, technology-enabled, global performance marketing agency that specialises in the delivery of unique, personalised customer experiences across platforms and devices. We call it ‘people-based’ marketing, and with over 25 years’ experience, we are proud to be recognised as a global leader.
Merkle’s heritage in data, technology and analytics is the foundation for our understanding of consumer insights that drives our people-based marketing strategies. Combined with our expertise in performance creative and media, we can then offer our clients content-driven, contextual and compelling customer experiences that drive business growth.
In 2016, the agency joined dentsu, one of the world’s biggest media companies to form the Customer Experience Management (CXM) Line of Business.
Customer Experience Management (CXM) is the data-driven, technology-enabled and customer-centric strategy, design, and execution of end-to-end customer experiences across marketing, sales, service, and commerce, achieved by an adaptive organization. CXM requires businesses to make sense of an increasingly complex and fragmented landscape of data and marketing technology platforms, with a new era of modern technology entering the space and constantly evolving to meet the challenges of businesses vying for competitive advantage. Merkle’s Technology Consulting team exists to be at the forefront of this – helping enterprise-level clients navigate the complexity and empowering them to understand what is needed to deliver best-in-class customer experiences which are personal at scale, focused on meeting customer needs, driven by holistic customer data, and orchestrated consistently across all touchpoints.
The Technology Consulting Director will be responsible for leading transformational projects with a variety of enterprise clients who are investing to ensure their systems, practices and ways of working are optimized to deliver effective, personally relevant experiences to their consumers across all channels.
They will spend time with client stakeholders up to VP-level understanding current challenges and need states, designing future state architecture, identifying capability gaps, supporting business cases, recommending improvements to utilization of existing technology, and guiding selection of new technology to meet evolving business needs. Typical projects will include ecosystem assessments (deep dive on technology architecture & capabilities), vendor assessments, RFP support, use case ideation and strategy development, as well as retained engagements to flexibly consult as a subject matter expert.
This is a very dynamic and exciting area with significant growth both in the market and within our EMEA organization, providing huge opportunity for the successful candidate to expand their network and broaden perspective across a wide range of areas influenced by technology.
Life as a Technology Consulting Director at Merkle
The Technology Consulting Director will play a key role throughout the delivery of our consulting projects, helping to answer important questions we’re hearing from clients including:
- How do we build closer relationships with our consumers?
- How do we best prepare for a privacy-first / cookieless world?
- What is our current state, and what are the gaps against a future-state architecture?
- Which technology is right for our organization to enable our future vision?
- How do we articulate the need for change and get buy-in across our organization?
- What are the common pitfalls of technology investments, and how can we avoid them?
- You will lead the discovery process, running interviews and workshops with key stakeholders to generate use cases in the context of the customer lifecycle. They will prioritize the use cases using business value justification.
- You will coordinate end-to-end assessments and analyses of market-leading technology vendors to determine the best fit based on bespoke client business requirements & use cases.
- You will collaborate with implementation teams to design future-proofed strategic solutions to drive more value from existing data & technology and optimize customer experiences.
Additionally, the Tech Consulting Director will be critical to the internal growth and development of our Technology Consulting proposition:
- Stay current on industry insights and innovation in the CXM world, sharing their perspective with the wider business and with clients.
- Lead internal initiatives to evolve and align Merkle’s point of view on various partner technologies and how they can be leveraged to enable customer experience management.
- Support on pitching Technology Consulting services to new prospects and integrating into cohesive solutions when preparing a collaborative response across Merkle.
- Drive excellence through thought-leadership, coaching and creative problem-solving.
- Build relationships with key technology partners in the CXM space to drive leads and facilitate access to partner-led training. Work with them to collaboratively increase the capabilities of the team.
- Work closely with the sales and proposition teams to develop and iterate our consulting go to market strategy and sales materials.
- Collaborate and align with other Merkle departments to prompt synergies and cross-sell.
- Direct line management responsibilities for one person (anticipated to scale up to two people, each with small teams reporting into them).
A few of the benefits
Whether it’s the joy of working with people at the top of their game or the Merkle social calendar, people love working here – and we hope you will too.
- Career development through Merkle University and other tools; with access to courses, textbooks, and mentorship
- Private Medical Insurance, Company Pension, life insurance and other corporate benefits
- A selection of other benefits including ability to buy additional holiday, season ticket loan and 2 volunteer days
Diversity & Inclusion
At Merkle, we believe that a diverse and inclusive environment improves us as a community and as a business. We want to foster an environment of growth, where ideas and contributions are actively encouraged. We need this culture of courage to continue to thrive in our fast-paced industry.
We have created six Diversity and Inclusion Pillars. Each pillar is made up of a community of members who serve as role models and spread a message of inclusion throughout our global workplace. Pillar members are responsible for planning initiatives, events and training, along with championing change within our business. These pillars are Gender, Ethnicity, Mental Health, Religion, Disability, LGBT+.
Merkle is a place that embraces differences of opinion. To be an advocate for real change we really encourage applications from women, candidates with disabilities and Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic (BAME) candidates as we recognize that these groups are currently underrepresented in our marketing/technology industry.
What we are looking for in you
- Passionate about customer experience & digital transformation, with a proven track record in marketing data and technology solutions.
- Experience designing and deploying marketing technology solutions such as Customer Data Platforms (CDPs), Customer Experience Platforms, Data Management Platforms, Marketing Clouds or Analytics Platforms.
- Experience designing or mapping technology stack architecture, including integrations.
- Some hands-on knowledge within the Salesforce or Adobe technology stacks is preferable.
- Specific experience with any of the following would be a considered a strong plus: Adobe Experience Platform, Pega, Salesforce CDP, Salesforce Interaction Studio, Thunderhead, Exponea, Tealium, Boxever, Segment, mParticle, ActionIQ).
- Experience architecting and deploying solutions across multiple markets and/or brands is highly desired, although not essential.
- Strategic thinker with the ability to build relationships with senior stakeholders (VP-level) and tailor their communication to different audiences (based on seniority, technical knowledge etc.).
- Able to work well under pressure, with a high degree of flexibility and fluidity.
- Proven track record of managing cross-functional / cross-platform digital projects with large groups of distributed stakeholders and project team members.
- Desire to lead and develop a rapidly growing capability within a world-class CXM agency (see below section).
At the point of application, the candidate must have the legal right to work in the UK as we are unable to sponsor visas as this time.
Merkle does not discriminate against job applicants on the basis of age, disability, gender reassignment, marital or civil partner status, pregnancy or maternity, race, colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin, religion or belief, sex or sexual orientation. Experience stipulated in this job description serves as a guide only and all applications will be considered on their merits, irrespective of experience.
As part of our Diversity and Inclusion agenda, and as an Equal Opportunities employer, if you require reasonable adjustments during the selection process please engage directly with your Recruiter.