Junior Data Engineer
Merkle is a leading data-driven, technology-enabled, global performance marketing agency that specialises in the delivery of unique, personalised customer experiences across platforms and devices. We call it ‘people-based’ marketing, and with over 25 years’ experience, we are proud to be recognised as a Global leader.
Merkle’s heritage in data, technology and analytics is the foundation for our understanding of consumer insights that drives our people-based marketing strategies. With our expertise, we can offer our clients content-driven, contextual and compelling customer journeys and experiences that drive business growth.
With our Head Office in Columbia, Maryland and offices US wide, we continue to grow at a rapid rate across Europe and Asia. In 2016, the agency joined the Dentsu Aegis Network, one of the world’s biggest Global media companies.
We're looking for a proactive, enthusiastic Junior Data Engineer to integrate into our growing team, working across a diverse mix of clients and technologies.
Your day-to-day role will be collaborating with other highly skilled data engineers in supporting and developing new and existing large-scale enterprise datacentric on premise and cloud solutions.
You will be assisting with the development of new functionality according to a commercial brief, building new data solutions and updating existing ones depending on the requirements. You may also be required to perform peer-reviews to ensure code adheres to best practice, is fit for purpose and scalable, and documenting technical processes in a clear and highly detailed fashion.
As a member of the Data Engineering team, you will be supporting the Analytics, Marketing Activation and Account Management teams in responding to client and internal work requests/queries, setting expectations, and ensuring process is adhered to.
You will receive training and mentoring, where required, to enable you to fulfil the requirements of the role as outlined above.
Life as a Junior Data Engineer at Merkle
As part of your daily work, you will:
- Develop and apply your growing technical skills in developing and supporting new and existing marketing data solutions across a wide range of industry sectors.
- Assist in the development of database solutions utilising technologies including SQL Server, AWS Redshift, Azure Data Warehouse and Snowflake.
- Work with other data engineers to construct data transformations using industry leading applications such as SSIS, Informatica, Azure Data Factory, AWS Glue and Talend.
- Document technical solution designs based on client and business analyst led requirements.
- Partake in scoping, planning and requirements analysis, through to discovery, design, development, testing and deployment of each work package.
- Ensure development requirements align with Merkle standards and policies, and with industry best practices.
- Stay abreast of industry technology innovations, new business practices, and third-party technology solutions.
A few of the benefits
Whether it’s the joy of working with people at the top of their game or the Merkle social calendar, people love working here – and we hope you will too
- Career development through Merkle University and other tools; with access to courses, textbooks and mentorship
- Private Medical Insurance, Company Pension, life insurance and other corporate benefits
- A selection of other benefits including ability to buy additional holiday, season ticket loan and 2 volunteer days
Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
At Merkle, a dentsu company, we believe that creating diverse and balanced teams is not just a moral imperative, it is a business imperative. To help our clients reach millions of different people every day, we need our people to reflect the society that we represent.
We aim to create an inclusive culture where all talent thrives, and we champion meaningful progress in diversity, equity and inclusion (DEI) for our people, clients and partners.
DEI is firmly embedded into our shared values - the 8 Ways to Never Before - and our Leadership Framework, which applies to all of our people. And our Global DEI Principles reflect our pledge to be an organisation that promotes wellbeing and inclusivity for everyone - regardless of ethnicity, race, sexual orientation, gender (incl. gender identity and gender expression), age, neurodiversity or physical ability.
We are proud of what makes us different and encourage applicants from all different backgrounds to apply to join us. We are always happy to discuss all flexible and agile approached to working and should you have any reasonable adjustment needs arising from a disability or medical condition to fully participate in the recruitment process, please discuss this with our recruitment teams.
What we are looking for in you
- Some data engineering experience or a relevant technical qualification in:
- SQL Server (or equivalent database technology)
- SQL Server T-SQL development (or equivalent database technology)
- Data ingestion and transformation (ETL) SSIS, Informatica (or equivalent)
- Technical background (Bachelor’s or master’s degree, or work in a similar field)
- Ability to learn new technologies quickly and apply those skills to the role.
- Good communication, interpersonal skills; ability to interact with people of varying backgrounds, technical abilities, languages, and cultures.
At the point of application, the candidate must have the legal right to work in the UK as we are unable to sponsor visas as this time.
Merkle does not discriminate against job applicants on the basis of age, disability, gender reassignment, marital or civil partner status, pregnancy or maternity, race, colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin, religion or belief, sex or sexual orientation. Experience stipulated in this job description serves as a guide only and all applications will be considered on their merits, irrespective of experience.
As part of our Diversity and Inclusion agenda, and as an Equal Opportunities employer, if you require reasonable adjustments during the selection process please engage directly with your Recruiter.