Senior Systems Administrator
Merkle is a leading data-driven, technology-enabled, global performance marketing agency that specialises in the delivery of unique, personalised customer experiences across platforms and devices. We call it ‘people-based’ marketing, and with over 25 years’ experience, we are proud to be recognised as a global leader.
Merkle’s heritage in data, technology and analytics is the foundation for our understanding of consumer insights that drives our people-based marketing strategies. Combined with our expertise in performance creative and media, we can then offer our clients content-driven, contextual and compelling customer experiences that drive business growth.
In 2016, the agency joined dentsu, one of the world’s biggest media companies to form the Customer Experience Management (CXM) Line of Business.
An exciting opportunity has arisen for an experienced Systems Administrator to join our global Infrastructure Managed Services (IMS) team to help support a growing global infrastructure, providing Tier 2 support for our global infrastructure including solutions within the EMEA region. Critical to this role will be a proven experience of Cloud Technologies, VMware vSphere environment management, and infrastructure management within both the server and virtualisation space.
The ideal candidate will have proven enterprise-level Cloud experience, ideally within AWS to be able to manage and support services on our hosting platform, along with a good knowledge of RHEL or Centos Linux. You will also be required to have a good understanding of both virtual and physical networking technologies, although this will not be a core part of the role. Experience of enterprise-level VMware support would also be beneficial. You will be required to join the Global on-call Rota.
Life as a Senior Systems Administrator at Merkle
The Senior Systems Administrator will be responsible for providing Tier 2 support for infrastructure within the Merkle Managed Hosting environment.
The individual must be able to assess the scope and impact of incidents and services requests and respond with an appropriate sense of urgency following all applicable policies and procedures, keep up to date on industry trends and deliver the highest level of customer service possible.
You will work in a team to deliver support, share information and collaborate with other team members. Suitable candidates must possess a strong dedication to quality customer service, excellent follow through, attention to detail and a drive to be part of a larger team and engage with broad IMS challenges and initiatives.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Troubleshooting and technical support of enterprise-class systems regarding ITIL/ITSM processes/practices, while maintaining compliance with all company policies, procedures and standards
- Provide incident and service request support for assigned Information Technology platforms which include Windows Server, LINUX, Storage, Networking, Virtual and Cloud Environments
- Plan, coordinate and execute change management activities
- Ensure that all solutions are aligned with IT standards and best practices
- Provide high level of customer service to all levels of the organisation
- Manage and prioritize multiple incidents and service requests while adapting to changing business conditions
- Act as an escalation point for incidents and service requests not resolved in the Tier 1 organisation.
- Design, implement, configure, and maintain various Cloud based services
- Deploy and maintain Cloud based IaaS Virtual Machines and Application and Networking Services to support growth into the cloud.
- Ensure that controls designed to ensure security and availability of the Merkle information technology environment are adhered to
- Identify areas in need of improvement and develop a solution which addresses those needs
- Document standard operating procedures for repeatable tasks
- Provide input to automation efforts
- Managing and running both personal and team ticket queues
- Provide on-call and after-hours support as required
- Uphold and promote Merkle’s core values and culture
A few of the benefits
Whether it’s the joy of working with people at the top of their game or the Merkle social calendar, people love working here – and we hope you will too
- Career development through Merkle University and other tools; with access to courses, textbooks and mentorship
- Private Medical Insurance, Company Pension, life insurance and other corporate benefits
- A selection of other benefits including ability to buy additional holiday, season ticket loan and 2 volunteer days
What we are looking for in you
Essential skills required:
- Cloud technologies – AWS preferred, but GCP and Azure skills also acceptable
- RHEL/Centos Linux 6.x/7.x
- Microsoft Windows Server 2012R2 / 2016 / 2019
- Familiarity with Infrastructure as Code, automated cloud deployment, CLI, and supporting technologies
- Demonstrate an understanding of configuration management solutions (Ansible, Terraform, etc.)
- Enterprise productization processes, including developing product guides, asset management, data protection, capacity management, performance management, and lifecycle management
Highly Desirable/Desirable skills required:
- VMware/vSphere 6.x
- Dell PowerEdge servers/storage (Desirable)
- Cisco UCS Blades/Chassis/Fabric Interconnects (Desirable)
- Experience of iSCSI-based storage (Desirable)
- A good understanding of TCP/ IP networking (Desirable)
- Experience of automated software deployment (Microsoft SCCM/SCOM) (Desirable)
- Experience with Scripting languages, such as Python, PowerShell etc. (Desirable)
- Requires 5+ years of experience supporting and implementing enterprise-class solutions operating in a 24/7 environment.
- Cloud Certification from (GCP, AWS or Azure) desired
- Demonstrate critical thinking and problem-solving skills.
- ITIL experience and certification highly desired.
- Understanding of enterprise infrastructure concepts and standard operating procedures.
- Ability to learn new skills, techniques, and responsibilities and train other team members.
- Proactive, upbeat and collaborative communication style, with the ability to be direct, tactful, and transparent.
- Ability to promote teamwork and collaboration
At the point of application, the candidate must have the legal right to work in the UK as we are unable to sponsor visas as this time.
Merkle does not discriminate against job applicants on the basis of age, disability, gender reassignment, marital or civil partner status, pregnancy or maternity, race, colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin, religion or belief, sex or sexual orientation. Experience stipulated in this job description serves as a guide only and all applications will be considered on their merits, irrespective of experience.
As part of our Diversity and Inclusion agenda, and as an Equal Opportunities employer, if you require reasonable adjustments during the selection process please engage directly with your Recruiter.