Junior BI Analyst
Merkle is a leading data-driven, technology-enabled, global performance marketing agency that specialises in the delivery of unique, personalised customer experiences across platforms and devices. We call it ‘people-based’ marketing, and with over 25 years’ experience, we are proud to be recognised as a global leader.
Merkle’s heritage in data, technology and analytics is the foundation for our understanding of consumer insights that drives our people-based marketing strategies. Combined with our expertise in performance creative and media, we can then offer our clients content-driven, contextual and compelling customer experiences that drive business growth.
In 2016, the agency joined the Dentsu, one of the world’s biggest media companies to form the Customer Experience Management (CXM) Line of Business.
If you’re a logical, process-driven individual with an interest in exploring data, you could be a perfect fit for the Insights Team in our Analytics Department! The team is rapidly growing we’re on the lookout for entry-level Business Intelligence (BI) Analysts to help clean, query and visualise our clients’ data.
We are looking for someone to join in the near future (although the start date is yet to be confirmed due to the COVID-19 crisis).
Our entry level roles are typically aimed at:
- recent graduates
- qualified apprentices
- someone with under a years’ experience in a similar role
As a Graduate BI Analyst, you’ll be part of our industry-leading Analytics department. You’ll spend your day supporting the build and analysis of cross-platform marketing datasets to enhance clients’ BI capabilities. You will work closely with clients to understand their needs and deliver solutions that automate and generate insights from their data. To begin with this will be supported by an experienced Lead, but you will develop towards independently managing your own implementations.
Your role will involve developing and maintaining data solutions for clients marketing and business data, enabling positive change across their business. We work with big data solutions and visualisation platforms such as Google Cloud Platform, AWS, Datorama and Tableau. Innovation is the lifeblood of our company: we’re quick to adopt new technologies as the market changes and encourage self-starters who can help us to do so. This attitude feeds into a wider spirit of collaboration and commitment to development that we’re incredibly proud of!
Some examples of the tasks you’ll take on are:
· Contributing to the build of a data model to bring multiple sources of data into an integrated solution – working out which fields should be mapped where, and why
· Checking data (‘QA’) and debugging errors – this is a specific and logical process which aims to isolate issues and implement scalable fixes
· Designing and building dashboards – once the data is in place, we select and assemble visuals which provide the greatest impact, calling on an appreciation for experience and aesthetic
· Building SQL queries to transform data – robust, clean data is at the heart of any reliable solution and often it takes some work to surface
· Using Python to manipulate files, build pipelines and call APIs – Python provides extreme flexibility and has use cases in nearly every part of our work
· Clearly and confidently communicate technical concepts to stakeholders – it’s important we stay accountable and transparent throughout, so being able to unpack complex concepts is key
We’re mainly looking for someone who loves data and is passionate about using it to effectively communicate and drive change. There are a few things this candidate must have, and some that are nice to see:
· Either previous work experience, a relevant apprenticeship or a degree from an accredited college or university in a STEM subject or similar. Degrees from other fields are welcome where relevant experience can be demonstrated.
· An understanding of digital marketing, and how data might be used to enhance the performance of digital marketing campaigns
· A logical, curious, and analytical mindset with a desire to interrogate data
· The ability to work autonomously as well as part of a team
· The ability to engage clients, instigate and monitor change management within the organisation as needed
· Excellent attention to detail
· A desire for continuous learning and personal growth
· Experience in Python or other coding language
· Experience in SQL, or working with databases
· Excellent presentation and communication skills
If you possess any of the desirable skills above, please let us know in your cover letter as these would be a wonderful bonus.
Make sure to blow us away with your in-depth research before your first interview!
At the point of application, the candidate must have the legal right to work in the UK as we are unable to sponsor visas at this time.
We suggest you apply at your earliest convenience (make sure you’ve done your research!) as our roles are always very popular and do fill quickly. We hire on a first-come basis
The Interview Process
Firstly, we suggest you apply at your earliest convenience (make sure you’ve done your research!) as our roles are always very popular and do fill quickly. We hire on a first-come basis.
In this position, you will be focusing on primarily on media data so we will want to see awareness and enthusiasm for this area. This interest can be showcased in your research and ability to go above and beyond when looking into this area.
TIP: When you're doing research, pick out some key terms or sections in this job spec that you’re not aware of and give them a Google!
· Application – When you apply you will be asked a couple of questions to showcase your interest in working in data analysis within the media industry. It's key that your aware this role isn't just for someone who wants to work in data. It's for someone who wants to use data to enhance the online marketing performance of our clients’ campaigns and websites.
· Video Interview – If your application is successful you will be asked to complete a video interview (they sound scarier than they are, we promise!). The video interview is a great way for us to get to know more about you and your knowledge and recent research. Think about looking into the tools mentioned above, key terminology, metrics, platforms, industry trends etc. Research will be key!
· In Office Interview - If successful after a video interview then you would progress to the in-office interview. This is a chance for you to come to the office, meet us in person, learn more about the company and showcase your skills, passion, and research in person.
· Final Interview – If you reach the final interview, you will be asked to put together an Analytics presentation, based off a pretend client brief.
Throughout the process, we want to learn more about you as an individual (your interests, skills and understanding of the role) just as much as your passion for this area and the research you’ve done. Nerves are normal - just make sure you come prepared and ensure you interview us as well! We want you to be sure that it’s somewhere you want to work too.
If you have any special requirements or needs throughout the interview process, please let us know and we’ll be happy to accommodate.
As we progress and develop as a company, you will too. Within our fast-growing company, there’s plenty of opportunity to develop your skill set and you’ll be encouraged to be curious and share new ideas. In exchange for your contribution to our award-winning company, we make sure you take advantage of a generous holiday allowance and are paid a competitive salary. We’re really proud of our company values and culture; we have regular company / team socials and want all our employees to enjoy turning up to work. Some of our benefits include:
· Friendly, approachable office atmosphere - and business-casual dress code
· Free breakfast (toast, spreads, fresh fruit, coffee, tea)
· Regular company socials (bowling, Crystal Maze, quiz nights, annual Christmas and Summer parties to name a few!)
· On-site Games Room with ping pong and pool table
· The company pays for our lunch on the last Friday of every month
· On Friday’s at 4:30pm (aka. Four Thirsty) everyone can help themselves to a celebratory drink
· Cycle2Work scheme, free eye tests, a company mobile phone and season ticket loans (post 3-month probation)
We regularly share what it's like to be part of Merkle on our social media pages – come find us at @MerkleUK!
The Analytics team partner closely with Google, Salesforce and Adobe and are regular beta testers gaining first access to new features. We also provide an extensive training program leading to certifications in our core platforms.
Merkle does not discriminate against job applicants on the basis of age, disability, gender reassignment, marital or civil partner status, pregnancy or maternity, race, colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin, religion or belief, sex or sexual orientation. Experience stipulated in this job description serves as a guide only and all applications will be considered on their merits, irrespective of experience.
As part of our Diversity and Inclusion agenda, and as an Equal Opportunities employer, if you require reasonable adjustments during the selection process please engage directly with your Recruiter.