Director - Media Strategy
Merkle is a leading data-driven, technology-enabled, global performance marketing agency that specialises in the delivery of unique, personalised customer experiences across platforms and devices. We call it ‘people-based’ marketing, and with over 25 years’ experience, we are proud to be recognised as a Global leader.
Merkle’s heritage in data, technology and analytics is the foundation for our understanding of consumer insights that drives our people-based marketing strategies. With our expertise, we can offer our clients content-driven, contextual and compelling customer journeys and experiences that drive business growth.
With our Head Office in Columbia, Maryland and offices US wide, we continue to grow at a rapid rate across Europe and Asia. In 2016, the agency joined the Dentsu Aegis Network, one of the world’s biggest Global media companies.
We’re a fast-growing team of digital experts and looking for someone to join us to continue to push the boundaries in market-leading digital and broader media campaigns. You will be leading the digital strategy for two of our key international accounts, one a household CPG name. The role requires you to lead strategic conversations across multiple media channels (search, programmatic, social) and identify opportunities across a broader offline, DX, CRM, and data and analytics landscape. You will be responsible for crafting innovative and integrated marketing strategies that deliver business outcomes for our clients and award-winning work.
You’ll be working very closely with a host of experts across our Paid Media, Analytics, Digital Experience, and Creative teams to ensure we’re at the cutting edge of our field, as well as the client’s other agency partners (Brand/PR/ATL/Creative). We’re looking for people who are digital natives but have a good understanding of full-funnel – off and online – media strategies, as well as an appreciation of data-driven customer marketing and the desire to progress this practice both in concept and in activation.
Working with Directors in the team, you will also support the Head of Department in shaping the growth and vision for our department. You will be actively engaged in growing and shaping our talent, managing a team of media planners, and actively engaged in onboarding new recruits. You will also play a key role in driving our thought leadership, methodologies, and best practice, along with educating the wider company in department initiatives.
This role is best suited to someone with 7+ years experience within a media agency function or client-side with demonstrable experience of applying strategic thinking to complex integrated campaigns and a proven track record in achieving KPIs and growing client relationships at top tier levels. An excellent understanding of integrated customer strategy principles beyond media is absolutely crucial. Experience of the European marketing landscape and partners, notably DACH markets is a bonus.
Contribution to the growth of the department through the development of best practice, training materials, and cross-department initiatives is expected:
· Drives thought-leadership, and innovation of our media planning & digital strategy capabilities
· Support the development of junior members of the team
· Encourage collaborative team environment and culture for shared learning
· Advocate strategic delivery and best practice implementation
Life as a Strategy Director at Merkle
· Manage and inspire a team of talented Media Planners, driving their development and progression at Merkle.
· Lead the development of integrated cross-channel media strategies and laydowns.
· Maintain a good working relationship with the key stakeholders throughout the planning cycle, in particular, the client’s creative and ATL agencies to align communication strategies
· Adopt department best practice and implement end-to-end processes for brief responses and new client onboarding.
· Liaise with internal research teams to collate market and customer insight to support and justify media laydown.
· Liaise with internal research team to analyse data trends and client performance to develop solid strategic media plans.
· Work with media team to periodically review media laydown using campaign performance data.
· Work with the relevant teams to define custom measurement frameworks and PCA templates.
· Initiate stakeholder planning ensuring relevant participation and contribution.
· Works directly with Merkle new business team to assist in RFP and media plan recommendations as part of the sales/on-boarding process.
· Cultivate and demonstrate thought leadership, putting forward new topics of interest, not being afraid to challenge the client with innovative and digital-first marketing solutions.
· Spot opportunities for growth across the Merkle and wider dentsu organization.
A few of the benefits
As we progress and develop as a company, you will too. Within our fast-growing company, there’s plenty of opportunity to develop your skillset and you’ll be encouraged to be curious and share new ideas. In exchange for your contribution to our award-winning company, we make sure you take advantage of a generous holiday allowance and are paid a competitive salary. We’re really proud of our company values and culture; we have regular company/team socials and want all our employees to enjoy coming into work. Some of our benefits include:
· Friendly, approachable office atmosphere - and business-casual dress code
· Free breakfast (toast, spreads, fresh fruit, coffee, tea)
· Regular company socials (including bowling, Crystal Maze, quiz nights, annual Christmas and Summer parties to name a few!)
· The company pays for our lunch on the last Friday of every month
· On Friday’s at 4:30 pm (Four Thirsty) everyone can help themselves to a celebratory drink
· Cycle2Work scheme, free eye tests, a company mobile phone, and season ticket loans (post-3-month probation)
Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
At Merkle, a dentsu company, we believe that creating diverse and balanced teams is not just a moral imperative, it is a business imperative. To help our clients reach millions of different people every day, we need our people to reflect the society that we represent.
We aim to create an inclusive culture where all talent thrives, and we champion meaningful progress in diversity, equity and inclusion (DEI) for our people, clients and partners.
DEI is firmly embedded into our shared values - the 8 Ways to Never Before - and our Leadership Framework, which applies to all of our people. And our Global DEI Principles reflect our pledge to be an organisation that promotes wellbeing and inclusivity for everyone - regardless of ethnicity, race, sexual orientation, gender (incl. gender identity and gender expression), age, neurodiversity or physical ability.
We are proud of what makes us different and encourage applicants from all different backgrounds to apply to join us. We are always happy to discuss all flexible and agile approached to working and should you have any reasonable adjustment needs arising from a disability or medical condition to fully participate in the recruitment process, please discuss this with our recruitment teams.
What we are looking for in you
· 7+ years experience in full funnel Media Strategy and/or Planning in CPG with exposure to broader marketing strategy
· Proven experience applying strategic thinking to complex integrated campaigns, with a demonstrable track record in achieving and exceeding KPIs
· A comprehensive understanding of different marketing capabilities and what they offer the client and customer, including; Search Marketing, Analytics, Display, Social, CRM etc.
· Good understanding of ATL and OOH marketing initiatives and measurement techniques and a strong articulation of roles within full funnel marketing strategy.
· Experience of insight generation with third party tools.
· Professional communication and presentation skills, both written and verbal, whether interacting with day to day contacts or C level executives. Ability to articulate a compelling digital activation and customer story.
· Leadership abilities to be able to supervise the planning process across multi-disciplinary teams on multiple sides (internal, client, other agency partners)
· Strong understanding of project management, demonstrable experience in leading preferable.
At the point of application, the candidate must have the legal right to work in the UK as we are unable to sponsor visas as this time.
Merkle does not discriminate against job applicants on the basis of age, disability, gender reassignment, marital or civil partner status, pregnancy or maternity, race, colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin, religion or belief, sex or sexual orientation. Experience stipulated in this job description serves as a guide only and all applications will be considered on their merits, irrespective of experience.
As part of our Diversity and Inclusion agenda, and as an Equal Opportunities employer, if you require reasonable adjustments during the selection process please engage directly with your Recruiter.